Skip to content


Watton is a small town, steeped in character. The town sign commemorates its place in folk law as the scene of the original ‘Babes in the Wood’.

Many of the shops in the town are still family businesses run by 2nd and 3rd generations.

The Market has strong links to the past, dating back to between 1200 and 1204.  At this time the Lord of Watton Hall, John de Vaux, obtained a charter for a market to be held on Fridays. Very quickly the people of nearby Saham Toney complained to the King that the market was harming their own held on the same day. Their complaints were upheld and the charter was withdrawn. However, John de Vaux conveyed the manor to his brother, Olivers, who was on better terms with the King.  He immediately obtained a new charter for a Wednesday market and so it has remained ever since.

There are some interesting buildings in Watton including the Clock Tower.  Built in 1679, the tower was erected to commemorate a fire which destroyed large parts of the town in 1674; a fire bell was incorporated in the building to warn the towns people of danger.  The Town Clock has a mechanism, which was presented to the town in 1827 by a leading citizen, Edward Stevens. It is still hand wound today.

Watton Sports Centre has a range of facilities including carpet bowls, badminton, squash, tennis and a fully-fitted fitness centre.

Find out more about Watton by visiting the Visit Norfolk website.